Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Being Non Aggressive

I am deeply thankfully to the writer of this page http://www.sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness/viewtopic.php?t=9536&sid=2c5e73cab49b40a776d79a70e27fb873#bot

Today's post has been inspired from a line in the Foreword to Sundari written by Guru de pyare, Bhai Sahib Bhai Vir Singh ji. Sundari was the first novel penned by Bhai Vir Singh ji's kalam in 1868, when he was all but 16 years old. My mother gave me an English version of this novel to read when I was in school. I remember tears flowling helplessly from my eyes when I read it then, and the same thing happened today when I read an extract of Sundari from the above page.

The line which inspires today's thought "The Khalsa represents spiritually elevated people who are blissfully cheerful, fearless, invincible but non-aggressive"

Now imagine -feeling invincible, yet non-aggressive. It felt as if some peace had dawned on me when I read this line.

While growing up these days, we pass through layers of competitive feelings - "I must do better than others" " I must beat that guy" "I must be ahead".. Basically, "I need to be invincible". And when we accomplish something, anything - it could be a medal, a great score, a brownie point - we feel encouraged, more confident, and more aggressive. Now, aggression is perceived to be a propeller- but it is also an emotion that can mislead action.

Aggression starts from being convinced about your idea or ability, and generally translates into an attempt to convince others about it with all your might. Continued aggressive thinking over the years implies that one is pumping more energy, pumping the heart harder, producing more adrenaline- all without much reason! Because in being aggressive, in wanting to come first 'over' somebody else - you entering into a the trap of comparison. And believe me, there is no finish line the race of comparison. No matter where you reach, you will keep seeing that somebody has 'more' than you. A student who gets into IIT will wonder how lucky the Standard graduates are (although it is much tougher to get into IIT than to get into Standford!).


Aggression, dissatisfaction and unhappiness- all have a link.

Now imagine how beautiful would it be if you could have the feeling of being invincible and yet be non-aggressive. So you're assured from within about your abilities, your purpose- but aggression doesn't touch you!

But how can this happen ? How can you become "blissfully cheerful, fearless, invincible but non-aggressive"? That can happen only when you begin your day with a sweet prayer, asking the Lord to bless you with hard work; and end your day with another prayer - offering all your work and success to him. Only He gives you the strength, so all that you work belongs to Him. You will feel cheerful because you are not going to sleep with any sort of 'burden' of success, you will feel fearless because the Lord is guarding your hard work and you will feel non-aggressive because the Guru will , over the days, give you the ammunition of love and peace to "fight" competition. That's what saint-warriors are all about.

So the message for today is silent, humble, love-filled success can give infinitely more happiness (Bliss actually) than aggressive, noisy success :)

It will be really nice if you could take some time to read the page that I picked up Bhai Vir Singh Ji's line from http://www.sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness/viewtopic.php?t=9536&sid=2c5e73cab49b40a776d79a70e27fb873#bot

May the Guru give me strength and determination to write consistently. It really helps me clear up my own thoughts. I am already two posts behind! :)

Lots of love and cheer
Supreet

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. Invincible, fearless and non-aggressive. Three attributes that have to be bonded by a deep inner stability.

I am quite interested in what you think about non-aggression specifically. Is non aggression :

a) Not retaliating when someone is just

b) Using non-violent (metaphorically) means for retaliation?

c) Not being aggrressive at all, irrespective of who begins it?

The Gita (excuse my half-churned knowledge of it), says that retaliation for the Truth is alright. Thats why Krishna asks Arjun to Fight. Does that make Krishna Aggressive?

Coming to a modern day example: Many people believe Gandhi was non-aggressive. I believe he was aggressive. Who would leave his country otherwise? Violence and Aggression are not the same thing. As an aside, I do believe that Gandhi would have been violent too, if he had thought that the best way to achieve his mission. I think he wisely chose not to.