Friday, July 13, 2007

Silence

My good friend and rakhi-brother, Akhil, made me aware of the concept of Silence and its importance during one of our long discussions on spiritual learnings.

I was sitting in our prayer room at home this morning when the concept of silence came to me. My father-in-law was reading Guru Granth Sahib with his back towards the window which opened up to a beautiful blue post -rain clear sky. There was no sound in the room. Only a nice cool beeze was flowing from the window with which my father-in-laws white beard was moving. The room itself contained the aura of Guru Granth Sahib and lots of prayer that has been done inside it. It was as silent as it could get.

And yet. Yet, yet, yet. Because I was getting late for office, my mind had a hundred thoughts, things to do list running through it. I was sitting in that heavenly room and I didnot feel silence, How ironic :)

When Guru Gobind Singh Ji visited Paonta Sahib (now in Himachal Pradesh, India), River Yamuna used to make a lot of noise in that area. But on a stone in the middle of the river, where he sat and created a Bani (Chaupai Sahib), the river is absolutely silent.

No comments: